I decided to go ahead and knit myself a Wurm hat next, as it used up some leftover yarn bits I already have. Since I like Zanetta’s Wurm I followed her guidelines for the number of repeats and decreasing. I used size 3 needles and CO (my Rav page) only 88 stitches (instead of 112) because the yarn I used, Hayfield Ibiza in Hessian, held double, is quite stretchy. For the knit stripes I used a miscellaneous blue that I picked up, somewhere, sometime ago. It’s a bit thicker, being worsted weight yarn, and I think it’s likely an acrylic, and maybe cotton, blend. I was going to do multicolored stripes but I didn’t have any other yarn that would work for this hat. Luckily, the remainder of the blue skein turned out to be just enough. I do like these two colors together.
Given how chilly it is, inside and out, I skipped blocking and went straight to wearing. I’ll have to remedy that soon.
I started this quilt last year, or maybe it was the year before. Piecing and then quilting each square has certainly taken a while but I really like where it’s heading. Some of the fabric is salvaged from old clothes,some were scrap pieces from friends and a few I even brought, but all of them are favorites. I had a blue and white quilt from my mother for ages.I can’t even remember when I first had the quilt but despite my attempts to patch it said quilt has disintegrated into rags. Hence this one.
The best part isn’t that I’ll have a new quilt; the best part is the making. Whether it’s picking out fabric or deciding where to place each square we’re making it. The boys are eager to lend their opinions and being the guy who lifts and lowers the sewing machine’s foot as we rotate the square to quilt it is awesome. Plus, it’s like magic.
Twenty squares down. I’m not really sure how many more we’ll go. I’d love a large blanket -like queen sized- but that’s also pretty huge! We’ll see, after all it’s all in the making.
Let’s take a look at a few jars of ACV (apple cider vinegar). Note how their appearance varies. The lightest colored one (on the left) is made from apple scraps (peels,cores etc.) the others are made from store brought juice of varying brands. After it ages a bit more I look forward to comparing tastes.
The next jar – as you can see below – was started 8-23 so it’s still aging. Then (still going left) there’s the jar I’ve been using ACV from. Usually I pour off the whole batch and get another going but for now I’ve been pouring some off into the smaller jar. Then there’s the jar of extra mothers.
The appearance of ACV can vary quite a bit, as do the mothers. Some are thin and filmy, some are nice thick clean-looking mothers, others look a bit more haggard and maybe have a layer of sediment on them.