Sometimes the easiest way to have a new knit garment is to reuse a knit that’s already made. I was given a sweater and a pair of handmade socks that didn’t fit anyone in the family. Rather than tossing them aside I decided to turn them into something new. After removing the sleeves (sewing the armholes closed) and cutting the top of the sweater down into a waistband the sweater fit nicely as a skirt. The sleeves I made into legwarmers.
As for the socks I transformed them into wrist warmers. I cut off the toes, which were quite worn and darned once already anyways. Then I was able to unravel the socks. I left about an inch above the heel, before the ribbing. Using a small crochet hook I worked a simple bind off. This part is the wrist warmer’s bottom.
Another 10 inches of snow. So much for thinking spring was on the way.
Despite the snow it was time to butcher and process one of the pigs. I helped to separate the girl pigs then Struggling_along did the deed and hoisted her up.
The kids were happy it was snowing and that my brother and his girlfriend were showing up soon so they danced around.
Struggling_along tended to the gutting and hair removal as we headed inside to start supper. Plus, I needed to sharpen all the knives for breaking down the pig into chops, roasts etc. the next day.
The few photos I took while we were cutting up the meat were too blurry. Besides, most of the time my hands were too busy breaking down the hams into more manageable sized roasts and ham steaks or wrapping the meat for the freezer. Ezra decided to help label the bags.Now we have cute bags with H A M scrawled across; a few even have smiley faces.
I did snap these as I finished up grinding the sausage.
Then we (and when I say we I mean Struggling_along and my brother) moved Mercedes in with Chevy. Hopefully he will indeed “make good things happen” and we’ll have an early fall litter of pigs.