We’re ready for Spring!
If the weather starts warming up soon Miss Molly might even get to wear her poncho this Spring. I’ve finished the main body; just the trim and the hood to go! The cold is lingering this year, making me wonder if we might end up with a bit of a maple syrup shortage. The sap hasn’t been flowing and it’s getting rather late in the season.
Ezra finished his barn last week and we also made him a little stuffed bear. He saw a bear he liked, made out of a glove, so using ol’ google I found an image showing where to divide the glove to make all the parts of an animal. Looking for it now I found this page, where it is broken down into a tutorial, apparently it is from a book: Happy Gloves. It’s pretty simple. It is for a chipmunk but, sans the tail, makes a pretty decent bear too.
Ishmael is big into pirates right now, here he is in his “get up”. It’s hard to make out but he even drew himself a scar across his cheek (and that box be his treasure, of course).
The barn has been down for some time now; finally I present the finished results.
But first, here is the Parker Dexter barn before:
Now the work of residing the house begins. Summer is always a busy time and we have a LOT of projects going on. This recent hiatus has been due to computer troubles, which are hopefully behind us, so farm/ family updates and new posts should be resuming as usual.
Earlier this week the boys and I took another trip back home, this time to install a package of bees. The weather was fabulous (at least while I was working with the bees, not so much for the drive); the leaves were finally budding out and everything was starting to look green.
Finally, I was able to see what progress had been made on the barn. Amazing! It’s really coming along. See The Parker Dexter Barn for lots of photos of how the barn used to look and the first stages of barn removal. There’s also this postcard of the barn Long Ago.
Here’s the barn in it’s current, nearly skeletal state:
The barn removal is progressing nicely; the bees are in their hive…
it’s finally spring! I think I can safely say we are all pleased.
Before- when Struggling_along and I were first looking at the place.
The barn being cleaned out and stripped down.
The beginning of the barn being taken down.
A window was knocked out in the goat barn. Really it was only a matter of time; goat hooves and glass windows don’t mix well. Coincidently the rest of the windows in the goat barn were already covered over with plywood when we brought the place. Hmmm. Luckily it’s a little too high for anyone to leap out to freedom. Although it was the frequency and number of heads poking out that caught my eye.
I quickly took a few photos, taking advantage of the rare lighting, before fixing the window. If you are wondering why the title says The Goats in French that’s because, even though I don’t actually know French, I like to talk to the goats in a mixture of English and “pretend” French. It just seems fitting. The goats with the horns are our bucks – or Monsieur Manson and Monsieur Lenin. The girls are Ellie and Rita (mother of Lenin). Ellie should be kidding this spring.