We love tacos! Plus they’re fast and who doesn’t love a meal that’s quick and easy to prepare? But have you looked at the ingredients on the prepackaged spice mixes? There are more than just spices in there-things like maltodextrin, monosodium glutamate, and silicon dioxide are common. Definitely not ingredients I want to be feeding my family. And if you raise your own meat or try to buy naturally raised grass-fed beef tossing such ingredients in might feel a bit like ruining a perfectly good meal.
Luckily there is a solution-and it’s easy:make your own taco seasoning (cause if you want it done right you have to do it yourself ya’ know). I mix up several batches at once so I can just add it in and not fiddle around trying to find all the spices and measure them out when I could be slicing lettuce.
Like the prepackaged stuff just toss it in with your browned meat and a little water.
Now if only I could replicate those crunchy corn taco shells (gmo free).
Here’s the recipe from the link above @ allrecipes.com
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.